Though mold is found throughout the natural world, it is still considered to be very dangerous to human health. When mold grows in a forest, the wind distributes the harmful spores until they’re virtually harmless—but when mold grows inside our homes, the spores can easily pollute the indoor air and cause a wide range of health problems. Here’s a quick look at the health risks associated with basement mold:
Though mold allergies are fairly common, they can be extremely tough to live with. If you have a mold allergy, you’ll likely experience symptoms before you detect the mold itself—symptoms that include sneezing, itching, congestion, and dry skin. It is also common to develop a mold allergy after prolonged exposure.
Mold in the basement tends to exacerbate asthma episodes. If you have asthma, it’s important that you have a professional remove mold from your basement and take steps to prevent its return. Since mold thrives in dark, moist conditions, you should create proper drainage around your home and dehumidify your basement as necessary.
Mold is a type of fungus, and can thus lead to fungal infections in people with weak immune systems. These fungal infections, also called mycoses, can cause serious sinus, digestive, and lung problems. In extreme cases, fungal infections can even lead to death.
Since mold spores are commonly dispersed in the air, they can easily end up your lungs and cause a wide range of problems. Though our immune systems are generally pretty good at disposing of wayward mold particles, sometimes these particles can cause coughing, wheezing, and other upper respiratory tract symptoms.
If you’d like to prevent mold from invading your home, contact United Structural Systems, Nashville’s leading foundation and crawlspace repair company. Our experts can help ensure that your basement is sufficiently waterproof and that water drains away from your basement and foundation. Mold is not something to be taken lightly—if your basement has a musty smell, don’t hesitate to call us at (615) 227-2275.